Monday 11 April 2011

Burridge Lake Aran Afghan - it's finally finished!!!


Started in March 2009.  Knitted on madly for a few weeks.  Put down for a few weeks.  Knitted on again for a while.  Put in the cupboard for a few months.  Knitted on again for a while.  Put back in the cupboard again for several weeks.  And so on, until earlier this year when I decided that I really did need to get on with this as I was getting a bit fed up of seeing it as a WIP on my Ravelry page.  I worked out this morning that I've used approximately 13 x 100g balls of yarn on it since the beginning of this year and the whole thing took just under 19 x 100g balls, so you can see how much procrastination and doing-a-bit-then-putting-it-back-in-the-cupboard had been going on for the previous 22 months.

Anyway, it's now finished.  I knitted on the borders instead of knitting them and then sewing them on.  The join is a bit lumpy, but it's a blanket and when it gets washed, that will hopefully even out a bit.

It's a decent size for one person to snuggle under and it sits on top of our 4' 6" bed with a few inches gap either side, so will be a nice extra layer next winter.

Back of sofa shot.
With 8-year-old child, which gives a better idea of size (in truth, she wouldn't get off it until I'd taken her photo!).







To be honest, it seems rather odd, not having it there to knit on.  For the past couple of years, it's always been lurking in the background, available for those times when a bit of cabling is what's required.

I guess I'll have to have a proper look at my Alice Starmore Aran Knitting book and decide what I'm going to make from it!

3 comments:

  1. Oh well done Christine that is wonderful. I know what you mean about Rav wips I put them as dozing at the bottom of the page and then I don't see them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Just to let you know I’ve nominated you for a blog award. You can find details on my blog at http://fantasiayarns.blogspot.com/2011/04/oooooo-award.html

    Take Care...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a beautiful blanket.

    ReplyDelete