Thursday 1 November 2012

An Admission of Disappointment

I steam blocked my Color Affection scarf/wrap the other day and I'll just come right out and admit that I'm a bit disappointed with it.

Not with the yarn - being a bit trumpet-blowing, I was really pleased with how I spun the yarn.  Not with the pattern itself and the way the colours work; the way the stripes flow around the scarf making it asymmetrical is one of the things that attracted me to the pattern:





It's the top edge I don't like.  It's not straight and I pinned, steamed, re-pinned and re-steamed, but just couldn't get it to lie flat.  There's a lumpy bit right in the middle where I cast on.

I think what I might do is carefully unpick the cast on edge and maybe the first few rows of knitting, one stitch at a time and then cast them off.  I also did the modification I'd read about on Ravelry of a yarn-over between the first two stitches at the beginning of each row, dropping the yarn over on the next row to give the edge a bit more flexibility and I'm glad I did.



All in all, it was an enjoyable knit, even though the rows did get very long towards the end, but I'm not sure it's something I'll wear except at home to keep my shoulders warm on chilly days.  It's very very big and I think I'll find it a bit bulky, especially with the coat I've got.  In addition, I never seem to manage to drape shawls or wraps effectively around my shoulders - maybe I'm the wrong shape.  They droop, flap and fall down and I end up feeling irritated.

Here it is folded up - I think you can get a bit of an idea of its size.


I think I'll mark this one as a process knit.  Happy I made it, but not so sure I'll wear it.

I'm off now to start a new spinning project.  There's a bit of a story behind this one - I'll tell you in another post.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's gorgeous. :-D There's always a temptation to focus on a tiny imperfection in a finished object. (I know that I have in the past!) But no one else will see anything but a beautiful shawl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! I agree that nobody else would notice the edging. Unpicking the cast on sounds scarey!! what about picking up stitches all along the cast on edge, knitting one row, then casting off?

    ReplyDelete