I'd also looked at the African Flower crochet motif several times and admired the way other Ravelry users had made it up into bags, throws, blankets and cushions and decided that I'd make some African flowers into a cushion cover for the square pad. However, it didn't work out that way. As it grew, I decided that I'd prefer to make it into a rounded hexagon shape. I made 20 flowery hexagons in total - 19 for the front and 1 for the back. The 19 were sewn together and then I went about the business of filling in the gaps. This turned out to be a bit tricky and after several aborted attempts, I used short-rows to fill in the shallow triangles between each hexagon. This is the front:
For the back, I used the 20th hexagon and then crocheted rings around it. Mostly treble crochet (UK) with with the odd round of doubles as well. I just kept going until it was the same size as the front and then crocheted the two pieces together using double crochet.
Although this was a stash-buster, I ended up spending nearly £20 on a 24" circular cushion pad!
After that, I still had bag of yarn left and still had two cover-less cushion pads.
Via the Tangled Happy blog, I'd seen a pretty baby blanket on the Tarekices blog and decided to use the pattern, but working it in rounds using up various colours. I used lighter-coloured shades on the treble-cluster rounds and darker/brighter-coloured shades for the dc rounds. I crocheted a chain that was slightly less in length than the width of the cushion pad and worked the first round by making the clusters first in the top loop of the chain then turning the work and doing the second half of the round along the bottom edge of the chain.
I'm rather pleased with it:
I might use it to make BSJs with wide stripes.
I need to finish off the baby cardigan I've got on the needles as well. This is a Feb Baby top-down cardigan, but will be short or three-quarter sleeved due to yarn constraints.