In fact, round and round, knit stitch after knit stitch, with the occasional increase.
At last though, I finished the body part of my Puffin sweater.
Then, the weekend before the one just gone, I cast on for the cuff of the first sleeve and did the first round or so of ribbing.
Then I decided it wasn't looking very neat, so I ripped it out and started again. I had visions of this happening more than once as I really, really, dislike joining cast-on stitches to knit them in the round (that and the fact I also dislike Kitchener stitch/grafting is why I make my socks toe-up). Second time lucky though, on this sleeve.
Last Monday I took it to knitting group and carried on knitting round and round, doing the increases every fourth round, as instructed. I looked at it and thought it was getting wider quite quickly, but though (as you do) "oh, it'll be ok". I carried on knitting and knitting and got up to round 80-something by Wednesday evening. Hubby went to bed early-ish on Weds night as he had to be up and out to work early on Thursday morning. I looked at the sleeve again and tried it on. Oh. Too wide, too soon. A reality check ensued, then a deep breath and out came the needles and I ripped it right back to the end of the ribbing (I wasn't going to cast on again unless I absolutely had to). I started the knit, knit, knitting again - this time increasing every fifth round - and ended up going to bed a bit later than I'd intended, but with about 20 rounds under my belt. Thursday I plonked myself down on the sofa with a cup of tea and my Kindle propped up on its deckchair (an easy-read chick-lit novel on it) and spent the morning knit, knit, knitting. By yesterday morning, I'd finished the increases and was just knitting round and round until it was the length I needed. I checked with the knitting group ladies towards the end of our session and we agreed that it needed to be a little bit longer, but not much. I haven't picked it up since (I've been making something else today), but I've only got another three or four rounds to go before I put the stitches on waste yarn (WooHoo!).
This means that I feel justified in thinking about the colours I'm going to use for the zig-zaggy, stripy yoke. I bought ten colours:
I need five colours, plus black if I'm going to follow the pattern (which I am). It's just a case of deciding which five colours and in which order. These are my possibilities:
I'm drawn to the second to last one at the moment (any opinions will be gratefully received). I might put them into a Word document and convert them to black & white to see how they look colour-value-wise (there was a good post on the Brooklyn Tweed blog a while back about doing that which was very interesting and instructive).
Right - off to drink tea and do a quick bit of tidying before DD2 gets home from school. I think DD1 is late home tonight - I forgot to double-check with her that her after-school music activity is on today so must make sure I've got my phone close by in case she calls or texts.