Thursday 12 March 2015

Mothering Sunday

It's always been a bit of an unwritten rule in my family that presents for my Mum are not to be of the household/useful variety, but I'm hoping that she'll make an exception for this year's gift.

I've woven her three tea towels.  Actually, two tea towels and one small towel/large dishcloth (I had an issue with my loom and had to stop early - one of the strings that keeps everything tight against the back of the loom snapped, so the warp went wobbly).

I used King Cole Cottonsoft DK, as I did with the tea towels I made for myself, this time using blue and white.  I put a fairly long warp on the loom, using the weft to create a different pattern effect for each of the tea towels.

Each of the tea towels is photographed folded in half, so is double the length.

Quite traditional in pattern
Wider stripes

Blue only for the weft

Here are the three cloths, next to each other:

See how the plainer blue one is smaller than the other two?!

I hope Mum likes them but, because they're a 'household' present, I've also bought her two bars of Montezuma plain chocolate: Orange & Geranium and Sea Dog (lime & sea salt) flavours.

I finished weaving these on Tuesday and yesterday I hemmed them, which didn't go quite as smoothly as I'd expected as I had issues with my sewing machine.  I'm not sure if it's because it's not used that much, or if it simply needs a good clean out, but it wouldn't move forward in a straight line.  Oh well, I got there in the end and that's the main thing.

1 comment:

  1. They are brilliant Christine!! I am sure that your Mum will love them because you made them for her with love! I hope you have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete