Thursday, 10 March 2016

Wasted time well spent.

I waited until I was three rounds into the ribbing on the neckline of my Berenice sweater before I had a look to see how the front looked.  It was tempting to look before that, but I knew that I needed a few rounds so I could see how picking up from the back to form a decorative ridge would look.

It looked a bit pants, to be honest.

Lumpy, messy, not nice to look at at all.

I ignored my knitting all yesterday evening and decided to start afresh this morning.

Once the girls had gone off to school and Jess had been walked and fed, I made a cup of tea, sat down and pulled out the needles, then re-wound the yarn into a ball.

Then I picked up the stitches again (fortunately I'd kept my scribbles on how I was going to pick up the stitches), did one round of purl, then seven rounds of k2 p2 rib.

See?  Much neater.  So yes, some wasted time, but well worth it for the much better and more pleasing result.

I also chose to do the tubular cast-off the pattern recommended, but more about that another time.

Now I'm off to tackle the sleeve cuffs.  I need to do some maths.

Maybe I'll do that after I've taken Jess for her afternoon walk.  Some fresh air might help!


  1. Sometimes you just have to put something down and let it be for a bit and then when you start again it just works doesn't it. Glad that it all came together for you, the edging looks really great now! xx

  2. I agree, your way looks much neater. And I'm a great believer in walking away from a project for a while. I've made too many messes by being to hasty!