I did manage to finish off a few things before the year's end:
Plain socks in Scheepjes Invicta Everest (I think). A yarn I'd not used before and, whilst it's ok, it's nothing special, to be honest and I'm not sure about the striping sequence. It would make a good stripy scarf though and it's a reasonably priced yarn.
Thicker socks in Regia Adventure Color 6ply. Plain socks again (no point in doing anything fancy when the yarn's already patterned). I used a 2.75mm needle for these and I think they used 100g of the 150g ball, so I've got to think of what to do with the rest of it as it's a shame to throw away one-third of a ball. I'll have a search on Ravelry for pattern ideas. These socks are very comfy and will be useful for wearing with my new ankle-length wellies (a Christmas present from my in-laws) when walking Jess in colder weather.
A Hitchhat (from the same designer as the Hitchhiker scarf). This was more handspun from the same bag of pencil roving at the Hitchhiker scarf. For this yarn though, I pulled off shortish lengths of the fibres and put them through my drum carder and made two batts, one blue-dominant and one red-dominant. I then spun each batt into a single before plying them together, giving a heathery yarn. I'm really pleased with how the hat came out as it's an interesting construction, knitted on the slant in four sections and then grafted together. If I made it again, I'd probably go up a needle size as I did have to stretch it a bit when I washed it to get a bit more length.
So, that's it. I had a fairly productive 2016, craft-wise and will do a round-up in a few days, once the girls are back at school and I'm able to get back into my usual routine.