Last week was the half-term holidays for schools in our county, which meant I had both girls at home. I hadn't made any particular plans, but thought we might do 'something' on a couple of days, just to get out and about. Unfortunately, the best laid plans, etc..... The Friday that the girls broke up from school, I went off to Friday knitting group as usual and had a very pleasant couple of hours with our little group, then came home. I had some lunch and then took Jess out for her early afternoon walk and then sat down. Half an hour later, I started to feel awful. Hot, then cold and by the evening, my throat was very sore and all I wanted to do was go to bed. Fortunately, DH works from home on a Friday, so he cooked dinner while I flumped on the sofa. Saturday morning, my throat was feeling better, but I'd obviously been hit by a cold virus. I did go to work on Saturday and Sunday (mainly because it's very difficult for the management team to get cover at the weekend, especially at short notice) but wasn't functioning at full speed and came home feeling very tired after each shift.
So, to cut a long story a bit shorter, I felt full of cold and not up to much all of last week and am only just feeling more like my usual self. Having a cold impacted to some degree on my crafting, so I haven't felt up to knitting my Na Craga sweater and, although I've started the body cable pattern, there's not a great deal to show and it hasn't been out of the bag for about a fortnight. So, over the last couple of weeks I've mostly been doing a bit of spinning and knitting easy, straightforward things.
Some of the ladies at Monday knitting group are currently knitting hats, mittens, gloves and scarves which will be going out to Nepal with a volunteer one of the ladies knows as there are still many people without homes following the 2015 earthquake. I went into my stash and pulled out a ball of Cygnet aran I'd got and made a ribbed hat using The Boyfriend Hat pattern, although I modified it from the original, using 3.5mm needles and casting on 120 stitches.
I then got out my bag of plain coloured Drops Fabel and, holding two strands together (I chose taupe and cream), made the same hat, but knitting in stocking stitch for the body of the hat and the crown. I won't do this again though and will do a different decrease sequence as the hat's a bit ruffly at the crown (but looks ok on, so I won't rip it back).
I also finished off my plain vanilla socks using Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in the Zombie BBQ colour:
There's nothing special about these socks, except for the pooling that occurred when I increased for the gussets, which is a bit bonkers!
I don't think I've shown the next thing off before (not sure why). A few months ago I felt the urge to make another crocheted Neat Ripple blanket (Attic24 pattern), using Caron Simply Soft. I'm using a 5mm hook and the blanket's 140 stitches wide (10 pattern repeats). I used the weighted random stripe generator from Biscuits and Jam and am about two-thirds of the way through the stripes. If I decide the blanket's not long enough once I get to the end, I might just start again at the beginning. This is a project I pick up every now and then when I don't fancy doing something else.
Obviously, despite my best intentions, I haven't sewn in the ends as I go, so that's going to be a bit of long job once I've finished the crocheting as most of the stripes are one row wide!
I'm hoping to get back into the swing of my Na Craga cabled sweater in the next day or so, but having felt so rubbish last week, plus having DD2 at home, I'm behind on housework, so need to get on top of that as the lounge and hall are starting to look like a spider hotel!
I'll be back soon-ish.