Thursday 18 April 2019

Merino/Shetland Socks

I've finished (yet) another pair of socks, this pair from handspun yarn.

I had 26g of blue merino/silk fibre from a bag of lap waste* I'd bought and 65g of yellow Shetland fibre, so I over-dyed half of the yellow Shetland with blue and green dye and left the other half plain yellow.  Each colour was spun into a single:


The singles were then plyed into a marled skein which weighed 80g and was just under 300m in length, which is enough for a pair of socks for me:


I knitted these socks using my usual toe-up sock 'recipe' with gusset and heel flap and they didn't take long to knit (just under two weeks):


I'm quite pleased with them, although I'm not sure if some of the colour will bleed when I wash them for the first time.

Obviously, having finished these, it meant.....


Yes, a new pair of socks for DD2!  We had a discussion this morning about which yarn to use.  She was keen on another ball I'd got in my stash (Wendy Roam Fusion) but a look on Ravelry showed that it would be difficult to make a pair of socks that matched and, as that's important for DD2, she settled on this ball of Sirdar Heart & Sole instead.

I'm definitely feeling a bit socked out now though, so once these are finished, I'm definitely going to start a sweater, scarf, or a hat!


*lap waste is a term used for a mixed bag of 'leftovers' from the factory, which can't be used to make a full 100g amount of fibre.  You never know what you'll get and there can be a mix of fibres and sheep breeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment