It's been one of those weeks where I seem to have been busy, but with nothing to show at the end of it - I'm sure you all know what I mean. I often feel this when I've had a week where I've had to do more shopping than usual. Living in the smallest town in England means that if I want more than just the basics, I have to travel to another town - usually Colchester or Harwich/Dovercourt. Hubby asked me the other day if I'd drop off his suit at the dry cleaner. Fine. Not a problem. Except the dry cleaner we use is in Dovercourt, which is 11 miles away. By the time I've driven there, parked, gone to the dry cleaner and then back to the car, at least an hour has passed, usually longer as I try to fit in other things to make the journey worthwhile (there's a Lidl in Harwich - mmm Christmas Gingerbread etc). Such is life, but I don't mind as it's a nice place to live.
On the crafting front, I didn't think I'd made much progress with anything, but having taken some photos this morning, I've proved myself wrong.
First off, with the Volna scarf, I've progressed a bit. I'm find this a time-consuming scarf to knit. The pattern needs attention and the yarn's a bit slippery, but the end result will be worth it, and that's the main thing.
Three full repeats to date and I'm hoping to get 8 or 9 repeats in total.
I also cast on for the James C Brett Marble Chunky sweaters, using Elizabeth Zimmermann's 'percentage' recipe from "Knitting Without Tears". At a tension/gauge of 15sts per 4", I've cast on 150 stitches for the body, which will give me a sweater of 40". So far, I've done 30-odd rounds and it's easy TV knitting although I have to take care to keep an eye as it's easy to split this plied yarn.
A closer-up pic of the way the yarn's striping and marbling (I'm rather pleased with the effect):
I also finished spinning some merino/silk mix which I bought months ago from The Alpaca Spinner, plied it earlier this week and it's now been soaked this morning and is hanging up to dry. It's the Peppercorn shade and I'm very pleased with how it's turned out. This is more of a light DK weight. Just under 250m and about 94g (I don't think I weighed the two halves of the fibre correctly, so there's still some on one of the bobbins). I two-plied this.
So, nothing exciting really, but I want to keep the momentum going and make a post once a week or so otherwise I'll never get round to it.
Ooh - nearly forgot. I ordered and received in the post yesterday a copy of Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's "Free-Range Knitter" and started reading it yesterday evening. Enjoying it very much so far - I enjoy reading Stephanie's blog and the book's written in the same friendly, chatty style.