Thursday, 22 March 2012

Rainbow's Edge

I sat down on Tuesday and got on with sewing in all those ends, which was a bit of an undertaking (and means I'm behind with the housework, but that's nothing new).

Tuesday evening I damned and blasted (or something similar) as I set about working a row of different length stitches to straighten the ripply ends of the blanket.  In the end, because I thought double-trebles looked a bit floppy, I made the decision that if it wasn't perfectly straight, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I started on the edge as well.  Two trebles per row.  As there are 150 colour stripes, plus one cream row at the end, that works out at 151 rows, so 302 trebles - down each side.  Add that to the 210 stitches that make up each row and that's -- lots and lots of stitches to be made for each round of the edging.  1032 (I think) stitches around the first edging row, increasing by eight stitches each subsequent round.  It's mind-numbing and I'm having to make myself keep going.

It looks nice though :)

The coloured rounds of the edge are trebles and are separated by rows in double crochet in the cream colour.  I thought that would continue with the colour rows being taller than the cream ones.  I think I'm going to do one more colour round after the yellow one (maybe the limey green as it's such a cheery colour), then a final round of cream dcs and then I'll see how a round of crab stitch in cream looks (I can always rip it out if I don't like it).

Next time you hear from me, it'll be with FO photos and (hopefully) a happy younger child who can have her blanket on her bed.

1 comment:

  1. I feel dizzy just reading that!!! :o

    It looks fantastic!! Good luck with the rest of it, and I shall look forward to seeing the finished photos. :)