First off, although the bag of Wensleydale Longwool fibre said it was scoured, it was still a bit greasy with lanolin, which made it a bit slippery to spin. Still, I persevered (I'd never spun this sheep breed before). Each lock was between six and eight inches long, I'd estimate, so I used my flick carder to open each one up and then, one I'd got a small shoe-box full of them, I spun them. Once I'd spun a bobbin full of the locks, I decided I'd had enough of flicking and then spinning, so wound the spun single into a ball and then plyed it using a strand from the inside of the ball with the one from the outside to make a 2-ply yarn.
Then I washed it and hung it up to dry. Because during the washing process more of the lanolin was washed out, once it was dry, the yarn felt a bit floppy and loose and I didn't like it. So, I wound it into another ball again and put it through my wheel again to add a bit more twist. Then, I wound it into a skein, tied it up and then washed it again before hanging it up on the line to dry.
This time, the yarn was over-twisted, but I decided to call it a day and admit defeat.
This yarn (which is a cross between yarn and twine) definitely falls into the category of "learning curve".
I think you can see from the photo where the excessive amount of twist has made the yarn king and squiggle.
I've now bought a 100g 'bump' of ready-prepared Wensleydale, so hopefully my next effort at spinning this sheep breed will result in something a bit better as Wensleydale yarn is supposed to be soft and lustrous.