Thursday 31 March 2011

Day 4: Where are they now? - 2KCBWDAY4

Years ago (as in 20+ years ago) I made an aran sweater.  It wasn't the first aran sweater I'd made as prior to that I'd made an aran waistcoat and an aran sweater for my Dad.  This aran sweater though, was for me.  Or so I thought.  I bought the yarn locally - cream with a just-visible tan fleck.  The yarn was, apparently, shower-proof.  I don't think I made any mistakes when making that sweater.  Even the sewing up was done neatly.

And then, one day my Mum asked if she could borrow it, so I got it out of the drawer so she could wear it.  Somehow, it ended up going back into her drawer and there it's stayed ever since.  It's even moved house with her - twice.

I asked her about the sweater when we had the snowy weather late last year, expecting to say that it had gone to sweater heaven.  "Oh, yes dear" she said.  "I don't wear it very often as it's so warm, but when it's very cold like this I'll wear it when I'm walking the dog".

So, well-made and looks good (if I do say so myself) and still going strong after 20-odd years.  It's just a shame it's not me who gets to wear it!  On the bright side, it does give me the excuse to make one of the sweaters from the re-printed Alice Starmore Aran Knitting.

1 comment:

  1. Loved the story, so glad your Mom enjoys your sweater

    thanks for sharing :o)

    ReplyDelete