It's a fortnight since I last blogged - how time flies. It's not that I've been particularly busy, just life carrying on and before I know it, we're closer to the half-term holidays than Christmas and, well, I'm sure you all know what I mean.
Still, I've been knitting and crocheting and spinning and I've got some finished things to show for my crafting time, and also some WIPs.
The first FO is a pair of plain socks:
The second FO is a cowl. I've made a couple of cowls before, but for my older daughter and her friend and not for me. The pattern is Ptarmigan by Jared Flood/Brooklyn Tweed and I bought and downloaded it ages ago, but hadn't got round to knitting it. I used Mirasol Miski yarn in Jade and a 4mm circular. The pattern stated a lighter-weight yarn and 4.5mm needles but I usually have to go down a needle size with JF/BT designs - I think Mr Flood knits more tightly than I do. The idea was to stash-bust by using this yarn, but I mis-calculated the amount I'd need, so ended up buying a third ball. After I'd finished knitting, I weighed the cowl and it's taken 118g of yarn, which is 177m according to Ravelry. I'll wear this when I'm walking Jess, our labrador as she gets rather excited when we're out and has on occasion caught the ends of my scarf when she's jumped up at me. Here's a photo:
I've also been doing some spinning. I finished off some cream roving I'd had on my wheel for ages (I think the sheep breed is Jacob) and have to soak, whack and hang it up to dry. When I started spinning it, the idea was to use it on the yoke of a sweater or cardigan, but I still haven't completely made up my mind. After I'd plied that yarn, I started on some merino roving I bought from Colinette last year not long after they'd started selling roving. All (or most) of their yarn colourways are available in roving and I bought two lots - Raspberry and Paintbox - and on the wheel at the moment is the Paintbox. Anne, one my friends from knitting group also bought this and we'd talked about how we were both a bit disappointed when it arrived. This is a third of it:
The other thing I've done is frogged and re-started my St Brigid sweater. However, it's not coming on very quickly at all. I haven't even done one pattern repeat yet. I don't seem to be able to get into the flow of the pattern - I think it might be because I've had too many distractions. It's not a pattern to be knit with two children and a young dog around and hubby's been working at home a lot recently, so not much time available where I can sit down with it and get on uninterrupted. I frogged the first attempt as I decided that working it in the round up to the armholes wasn't going to work particularly well and that seams would make it hang better and also mean that setting in the sleeves would be much easier (i.e. much less maths to do to adjust the pattern).
This is the pathetic progress so far:
So, that's me caught up. Like the rest of the country, we're going through a very cold spell weather-wise at the moment and I've got the heating on most of the day otherwise the house starts to feel damply cold, if you know what I mean. Last week, we had thick fog and couldn't see across the river to Suffolk:
Today, although it's very cold, the sun is now shining and the sky is blue, so I popped out of the front door and took a quick pic:
Thanks for reading and hopefully the next time I post, St Brigid will have grown, I'll have at least another bobbin of the merino done and DD2's blanket will be closer to completion.