Wednesday 9 January 2013

FInal FOs of 2012

Remember back in November when I told you about the yarn I'd spun to make into a scarf for hubby's stepmother?  And how later in the month I said that it wasn't working out the way I wanted it to, so I'd decided to knit the yarn into a Baktus triangular scarf instead?  Well, I finally finished it in December, sewed in the ends and gave it a lightish blocking (it really only needed stretching out with a few pins at either end and at the point).  It hasn't been delivered though as hubby had to cancel visiting his father and stepmother over the Christmas break due to him being Very Poorly Indeed.  I'll have to talk to hubby about posting it because I'm not sure what he was doing about a gift for his father and I don't want to send one of them a present when the other hasn't got one.

So, I started off with some alpaca/silk blend fibre which I divided into three equal-weight bumps:


Spun the bumps into three singles and then plyed them together to make this yarn:


And then knitted the yarn into this Baktus scarf:


Am I pleased with it?  On the whole yes.  It's not quite as soft as I'd like, but it drapes quite nicely and I hope my mother-in-law will like it.

My last FO of the year was a pair of plain socks:


A bit bright, aren't they.  Just how I like my socks!  The yarn's Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in the Desert Flower colour (I bought it ages ago).  These were made toe-up to my usual sock recipe, on a 2.25mm circular, using the magic loop method.  I got some interesting pooling around the gusset as I increased the stitches, which is usual with multi-coloured yarns, but it's always fun to see what the yarn's going to do.

Next time, I'll tell you about my Christmas presents.  Hubby was a bit naughty, but in a nice way.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to find out what he got Christine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Baktus turned out beautifully, I hope your MIL likes it. And your socks look great!

    ReplyDelete